Recently I decided to run my carry Gen 3 19 at a local 3 gun match. Well, to be perfectly honest I decided to detail strip and clean my Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9 and the plunger spring went flying off somewhere in my garage, never to be seen again despite massive amounts of foul language and gnashing of teeth. So, I decided to run my EDC Gen 3 19. It has upgraded sights and trigger designed for carry use and I was kind of pleasantly surprised at how well I did with it. Well, not that I placed higher, but rather I was right where I always am. Dead mid pack.
The next day the thought occurred to me to get a G34 and set it up right.
There are 3 things I always do to a Glock:
- Install better sights
- Some trigger work
- Undercut the trigger guard so that my middle finger has more room and allows me to get up higher on the grip.
For items 1 and 2 I let the use dictate what I will do.
For a carry/defensive gun I go with some sort of tritium front sight and an improved trigger, be it just a polish job or a drop in. In the case of the 19 it is an Ameriglo “Hackathorn” set of sights and a GlockTriggers “The Guardian”.
Since this gun was going to be purely for competition I set it up as follows:
- Taran Tactical sights, flat black rear and Fiber Optic front
- Taran Tactical extended mag basepads for increased round count
- ZEV magwell, I went with the heaviest setup, brass with brass insert to both assist with reloads and reduce muzzle flip.
- ZEV Fulcrum trigger with adjustable pre travel and over travel
- 4lb striker spring
- Polished safety plunger
- Polished 3.5 lb connector
- Undercut trigger guard
- Jentra stainless steel guide rod for the Gen 4 to add a bit more weight to the muzzle to control flip
I also have some other sights from Warren Tactical/Sevigny and triggers such as The Edge from GlockTriggers and the DKCustom that I will be running and comparing.
Please stay tuned to this bat channel for more updates.