Many of you know of Todd Rathner and his NFA Freedom Alliance. In addition to his work on NFA rights, Todd has also been successfully lobbying in support of Knife Rights. Being based in Texas, TGR is especially pleased with the changes coming September 1, 2017. As of September, Texans will be free to carry pretty much any blade you might want. As you might imagine, the news channels are stunned that it will soon be legal to walk down the street with a sword or Bowie knife!
The real problem is that the previous law contained vague language surrounding such terms as “dagger” and “poniard.” Under current law, an “Illegal knife” is defined as:
- knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
- hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
- dagger, including but” not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
- bowie knife;
- sword; or
Under the new Texas statute, “illegal knife” is changed to “location-restricted knife.” Which basically means you can’t carry a blade greater than 5.5 inches into specific restricted locations like schools, airports, hospitals, prisons, taverns, and racetracks.
These types of efforts are going on across the USA thanks to Todd Rathner, the American Knife & Tool Institute, and the good folks at Knife Rights.
Latest posts by Mike Coker (see all)
- 5 Great Rifle Scopes for Deer Hunting - October 18, 2018
- Hornady SUB-X 300 190gr Subsonic Blackout Ammunition - September 9, 2018
- FLIR PTS233 ThermoSight Pro Weapon Sight Review - July 29, 2018