As I was building my new 6.8 SPC II Short Barrel Rifle, I began putting together my wish list of parts and accessories. The first thing I settled on was the barrel – Wilson Combat 11.3″ Match Grade Stainless. Next decision was which hand guard to install to compliment the Wilson Combat barrel running a Templar Tactical Crux Nemesis30 suppressor. Requirements – light (no quad rail for this guy), free floating, easy to attach accessories, comfortable in hand, and a solid mount to a mil-spec barrel nut. The Samson Evolution Series 10″ fit the criteria and I am very pleased with the end result.
The Evolution mounts using thermal bushings that clip to the barrel nut. The two pieces snap into place, the hand guard slides over the thermal bushings, snugs up to the receiver, and is locked down tight with a solid clamp. It feels very sturdy with zero wobble. The thermal bushings help reduce heat transfer. It is a neat design, uses the standard mil-spec barrel nut, and is solid.
It cleared the Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block with no problem.
Specifications according to Samson:
- Midlength +
- Free Float Design
- Thermal bushings clip to any mil-spec barrel nut
- Relieved for Most Gas Piston Systems
- No Need To Remove Front Sight Base
- Rail Includes Integrated Anti-Rotation Tabs
- All Rails 1913 Picatinny Mil-Spec
- Type III Mil-Spec Hard Coat Anodizing
- Precision Laser Engraving
- Forms Continuous Top Rail
- 6061 T6 Aluminum
- Overall Length: 10.0 “
- Weight: 10.5 oz
- ID: 1.56 “
- OD: 1.8 “
As you can see, there is one-half inch of barrel showing beyond the rail. I considered ordering the 11″ Evolution but that would have resulted in one-half inch of the suppressor being under the hand guard with 0.06″ clearance and I just decided to go the “safe” route reducing heat transfer and for possible future suppressor changes. The Crux outside dimension is 1.50 inches so it would have just fit. Who knows, I might change out to the 11″ model at some point but for now I am very happy with the results.
Latest posts by Mike Coker (see all)
- 5 Great Rifle Scopes for Deer Hunting - October 18, 2018
- Hornady SUB-X 300 190gr Subsonic Blackout Ammunition - September 9, 2018
- FLIR PTS233 ThermoSight Pro Weapon Sight Review - July 29, 2018